Within Teamwork, the Planning Overview gives you an over all view of where and when your site's resources (people) are allocated, and is based on estimated time.
You can view a total of how many hours are allocated over a period of time. This can be done per person, project, or company.
To view the Planning Overview, click the More option in the main navigation menu on the left of your site and select Planning.
In the Planning area, select the Overview tab from the horizontal menu.
Tasks will only appear in the Overview if they have estimated time set and are within the date range set by the filter.
- Project - the number of projects the user's estimated time is spread over:
- Tasks - the number of tasks the user's estimated time is spread over:
- Blue - active tasks
- Green - completed tasks
- Note: Only tasks within the selected timeframe that have estimated time will be included.
- Estimated - total cumulative estimated hours on the included tasks the user is assigned to within the selected date range.
- Logged - total time logged by the user on the selected tasks.
- Remaining - the difference between the total estimated time and logged time on the tasks.
Viewing tasks in the overview
The overview is populated based on a number of conditions related to the tasks. In order to appear in the overview, a task must have estimated time set and meet the conditions below:
- Any tasks which have either their start or end date within the selected time frame.
- Tasks which have their start date before the selected time frame and an end date during or beyond the selected time frame.
- Tasks which have their start date during the selected time frame and an end date during or beyond the selected time frame.
- Active tasks with no start or due date can be included by selecting the 'Include tasks due anytime' checkbox in the filters pane.
Tasks that will be excluded from the overview:
- Late tasks with a due date before the beginning of the selected time frame.
- Tasks with a start date after the selected time frame.
- Tasks with a start date before the selected time frame and no due date are not included, even if they are still active or are marked complete within the selected time frame.
- Tasks with logged time but no estimated time.
- Future repeats of tasks that have not yet been created.
- Tasks you do not have permission to access.
In the example above, the date range is set to this week and the overview is sorted by user.
- Emer is assigned to 2 tasks across her projects:
- These tasks have a combined estimated time total of 7 hours.
- 1 hour 30 minutes have been logged across the tasks, so the time remaining is 5 hours 30 minutes.
- The totals line at the bottom will show the totals for each column across all users currently being viewed.
Selecting one of the task totals will open a quick view to the right, listing the associated individual tasks:
Note: This tasks quick view is available on paid subscription plans only.
For each task in the quick view, you can see:
- Task name
- Start and due dates
- Associated task list
- Logged time
- Estimated time
Distributing estimated time
When working with tasks that have multiple users assigned, you can select the Distribute estimated time checkbox in the filters pane to manage how the time is distributed.
- If distribute is selected, the estimated time is divided by the number of people assigned to the task. The resulting figure is then added to each user's individual workload
- For example: If a task is assigned to 3 people and 1 hour was estimated then the Overview will now calculate this as 20 mins for each person
- If distribute is not selected, the full time estimate amount will be added to each user's workload figure
- For example: If a task is assigned to 3 people and 1 hour was estimated then the Overview will now calculate this as 1 hour for each person.
Pro-rata estimated time
The pro-rata checkbox decides if the total estimated time on a task, or the partial pro rata figure, is included.
If the box is unchecked and a task falls only partially within the selected date range, the whole time estimate will be included.
- For example: Task A is estimated at 80 hours from the 1st to the 14th of the month. In the filters, the date range is set to the 1st to the 7th
- The full 80 hours will be included
If the box is checked and a task falls only partially within the selected date range, the system will distribute the hours equally over each day between the task's start and due date.
- The number of days when the task is active within the selected time frame will be calculated
- The number of days will be multiplied by the hours per day, and included in the calculation
- For example: Task A is estimated at 80 hours from the 1st to the 14th of the month. In the filters, the date range is set to the 1st to the 7th and the Pro Rata check box is selected.
- In this example, the task is active for 7 of the 14 days = (7/14) x 80 = 1/2 X 80 hours = 40 hours
Include logged time in remaining capacity
When selected, time logged on tasks will be taken into account when calculating the users remaining capacity.
- For example: With an 8 hour work day and 8 hours estimated time for that day, if 4 hours of time is logged the user will have 50% capacity.
If this option is not selected, logged time will not be taken into account. Meaning the calculation will be based on working hours vs estimated time, regardless of logged time.
- For example: With an 8 hour work day and 8 hours estimated time for that day, any amount of logged time will not calculated. The user will have a capacity of 100%.
Note: Remaining estimated time is calculated per task. Logging more time than is estimated on one task, will not reduce remaining logged time on another task.
For more information, see: Using the Workload Planner