You can create predefined lists of tasks that can be used to create new task lists in your projects, or added to existing task lists.
In the site 'Settings' menu in the top right of your screen, choose the 'Templates' area and to make changes to existing templates or add a new one, click the 'Edit' link:
In the main 'Task Templates' screen, you can add a new task list to use as a template using the 'Add Template' button in the top right:
When you add a new template, you can enter some details:
- Give the template a name.
- Add any notes you'd like to show as task list notes when the template is used to create a task list in a project.
- Select who can see the template in the 'Who can view this' tab. Note - this option does not affect the privacy of the tasks or task lists created from the template.
Adding tasks to a template
Once you've created a new template, you can add tasks just like you add them to a task list in a project. In a template though, some of the options are slightly different:
- Start date/Due date: within the task list templates you cannot set a specific date for the task start and due date. Instead, choose a number from this list and when the template is used, the dates will be set counting from the day that you're using the template (for example, if you set it as 0 then the date will be set as 'today').
- Who should do this:
- Leave the selection as 'Anyone' to show the task unassigned when the template is used.
- Select a specific person for the task to be assigned to when the template is used.
- Select multiple people for the tasks to be assigned to when the template is used.
- Use the 'Choose Later' option to add a note of who should do the task, and the actual assignee(s) can be chosen when the template is used.
Creating a template from an existing task list in a project
If you are an administrator or have the Can manage Templates permission, you can save any task list from any project into the templates section. Simply click the drop-down arrow to the left of the task list name -> Templates -> Save as Template.