You can make a copy of a project, including as much of the content of the original project as you prefer, so it's just like using an existing project as a template.
To copy a project, look for the project options menu (which you can access anywhere you see the project name listed with the arrow icon such as the dashboard, the 'Projects' tab, or the 'Switch Project' links) or in the project overview from the 'Options' button:
When you choose 'Copy/Move this Project' you'll see all of the options available:
- If you have set up a link to other sites in your profile and you're a site administrator on both, you can choose to copy the project to that site as well as making a copy in the current site.
- Users who are selected as 'followers' on project items are not included when a project is copied.
You can add a name for the copy of the project, and choose which content to copy by selecting the checkboxes next to each content type. You'll see the total number of items in the original project next to each one.
Switch to the 'Options' tab:
Here you can choose how the dates from the original project will be set up in the new copy. If your original project has a start date, that will be taken as 'day 0', otherwise the date that the project was created will be used. The new dates can be calculated with the following options:
Shift all tasks and milestones by the same number of days
Don't include Saturdays and Sundays when calculating new dates
Calculate new due dates but keep tasks and milestones off weekends
You can use the date preview option to see the effect of any settings chosen here, before making the copy.
The other options allow you to control whether other elements from the original project are copied, including activity updates, task and milestone creator, comments, and project roles. Completed tasks can be copied with their completed status, or marked as active again.
In the 'Company' tab, you can choose to associate the copy of the project to a different company than the original project.
When copying a project you can choose to exclude weekends by selecting 'calculate new dates but keep tasks and milestones off weekends' within the 'options' tab when copying. If you select this option and choose the 'preview dates' option it will show the number of days we jumped the date forward based on you not wanting the date to land on a weekend day.
Using projects as templates
It's useful to set up some projects that you can use as templates.
Here are some tips on setting up project templates:
- Create a project category to keep them all together and not listed along with your other projects
- Archive the template project, so that:
- It doesn't count towards the active project limit for your subscription
- It cannot be edited without re-activating, preventing changes by mistake
- Tasks and milestones won't be shown in any reports