Within Teamwork, you can interact with your projects directly from Microsoft Outlook.
To use the Outlook add-in, you will first need to install the Teamwork Microsoft Office integration.
Note: The Microsoft Office integration is only available for Windows.
Getting started with the Outlook add-in
Once the integration has been enabled, you will see an additional Teamwork tab in the ribbon menu of Microsoft Outlook. Click the Teamwork tab to see the project options available to you.
With the Outlook add-in, you can:
- Open Teamwork
- Add Project
- Add Task List
- Add Task
- Log Time
- Add Notebook
- Add Message
- Update Status
- Add Link
- Start Timer
Selecting the Open Teamwork option opens a panel to the right of your Outlook window. You can use this panel or the options in the Teamwork ribbon menu to create items.
Adding a project
When you select Add Project from the ribbon, you will be able to add a name for the new project as well as a description and company.
Other options when adding a project include:
- People - select users to add to the project and choose whether to notify them by email.
- Dates - set start and end dates for the project.
- Category - assign the project to an existing project category.
- Tag - apply an existing tag to the project.
Adding a task list
When adding a task list, you can add a name and description and set privacy. You can also use the template option to import a task list from your task templates.
To add a task list to a new project, select New Project from the top right of the Project field.
Adding a task
When adding a task, you can select a project and task list to associate with the task.
As well as adding a name for the task, you can also select whether the new task should be a subtask. You will then be able to choose a corresponding parent task.
Like in Teamwork, you can also set additional options.
- Who and when - Select users to assign to the task, whether to notify, and set task start and end dates
- Description - Add a task description
- Attach a file - Add a file to the task
- Privacy - Set privacy so the task is only accessible to certain users
- Priority - Set a priority for the task
- Followers - Choose who should follow this task
- Estimated time - Set an estimated time for task completion
- Add a tag - Include any relevant tags on the task
- Board Column - Assign the task to a board column
You can log time to a project or a specific task in a project as you work in Outlook. When you select the Log Time option from the ribbon, you can select which project the time should be logged to, and choose a task within the project if you wish.
To add time to a new project, select New Project from the top right of the Project field.
When you select the Tasks tab, you will need to select a task list and task.
Other time log options:
- Set a specific start date for the timer, or use today's date
- By default, the start date will be the current date
- Set a start time for the timer
- Set a duration for the time log, in hours and minutes
- Choose whether the time is billable
- Add a description for the time log
- Add tag(s)
Adding a notebook
When you select the Add Notebook option from the ribbon, you will be able to select which project to add the notebook to, as well as give the notebook a name.
To add a notebook to a new project, select New Project from the top right of the Project field.
In the Content tab, you can add the content you want to include in the notebook.
You can also choose to create a notebook using the content of the email you are currently working on, by selecting the Use current Document Content option at the bottom.
Using the individual tabs, you can:
- Add a description and tags
- Select a notebook category
- Choose who to notify
- Set privacy for the notebook
Adding a message
You can also create a new message on one of your projects. When you select the Add Message option from the ribbon, you will be required to choose a project. You will then also be able to add a message subject and the content of your message.
To add a message to a new project, select New Project from the top right of the Project field.
You can also:
- Add the current active email you are working on as an attachment to the message
- Select who to notify
- Choose a category to add the message to
- Set privacy on the message
- Add tag(s)
Updating your status
When you select Update Status from the ribbon, you will be able to add a new status to your Teamwork profile and choose whether to notify people in your company of the update.
Adding a link
This option allows you to add a link directly to the project. When you select the Add Link option from the ribbon, you can select which project to add the link to, add a title and description, as well as the link URL.
To add a link to a new project, select New Project from the top right of the Project field.
You can also:
- Choose whether the link should open in a new tab
- Set privacy for the link
- Choose a category for the link to be added to
Starting a timer
You can start a new timer by clicking the Start Timer button to the right of the Teamwork tab in the ribbon menu. This option allows you to start a manual timer as you work in Outlook and then log that time on a project of your choosing.
When a timer is running, you will have the option to stop and pause the timer, as well as log the time.
When you select Log Time, you can log your time to a specific project, add a new project, or task. Alternatively, you can discard the time entry completely.
Further options include:
- Adding a time log description
- Mark time as billable
- Add Tag(s)
For more information, see: Installing the Microsoft Office integration