Within Teamwork Projects, you can interact with your projects directly from Microsoft Outlook.
To use the Outlook add-in, you will first need to install the Teamwork Projects MS Office integration.
Getting started with the Outlook add-in
When you open Microsoft Outlook once the integration has been enabled, you will see Teamwork has been added as a tab in the ribbon menu. Click the Teamwork tab to see the Teamwork Projects options available to you.
With the Outlook add-in, you can:
- Open Teamwork Projects
- Add Project
- Add Task List
- Add Task
- Log Time
- Add Notebook
- Add Message
- Update Status
- Add Link
- Start Timer
Opening Teamwork Projects
Selecting the Open Teamwork Projects option opens a larger tile view in a panel to the right of your Outlook window.
Adding a project
When you select Add Project from the ribbon, you will be able to add a name for the new project, as well as a description, and select a company for the project to belong to.
In the Dates tab, you can set the start and end dates for the project.
In the Advanced tab, you can select a project category, add tags, and attach the current worksheet as an attachment.
Adding a task list
When adding a task list, you can add a name and description, and set privacy for who can see the list.
You can also use the template option to import a task list from your task templates.
Adding a task
When adding a task, you can select a project and task list you want to add the task to. You also have options here to create a new project or task list.
As well as adding a name for the task, you can also select whether the new task needs to be a subtask. You will then be able to choose what parent task you would like to add it to.
Like in Teamwork Projects, you can also set:
- Who and when - Select users to assign to the task, whether to notify, and set task start and end dates
- Description - Add a task description
- Privacy - Set privacy so the task is only accessible to certain users
- Attach a file - Add a file to the task
- Progress and time - Set % progress of the task, and any logged time
- Priority - Set a priority for the task
- Add a tag - Include any relevant tags on the task
You can log time to a project or a specific task in a project as you work in Outlook. When you select the Log Time option from the ribbon, you can select which project the time should be logged to, and choose a task within the project if you wish.
When you select the Choose a Task box, you will then need to select a task list, and whether the task should be marked as complete.
Other task options:
- Set a specific start date for the task, or use today's date
- By default, the start date will be the current date
- Set a start time for the task
- By default, the start time will be the current time
- Set a duration for the task, in hours and minutes
- Choose whether the time is billable
- Add a description for the time log
- Add tag(s)
Adding a notebook
When you select the Add Notebook option from the ribbon, you will be able to select which project to add the notebook to, as well as give the notebook a name.
In the Content tab, you can add the content you want to include in the notebook.
In the Settings tab, you can:
- Choose who to notify
- Add tag(s)
- Set privacy for the notebook
- Select a category to add the notebook to
Adding a message
You can also create a new message on one of your projects.
When you select the Add Message option from the ribbon, you will be required to choose a project. You will then also be able to add a message subject, and the content of your message.
You can also:
- Add the current active spreadsheet you are working on as an attachment to the message
- Select who to notify
- Add tag(s)
- Choose a category to add the message to
- Set privacy on the message
Updating your status
When you select Update Status from the ribbon, you will be able to add a new status to your Teamwork Projects profile, and choose whether to notify people in your company of the update.
Adding a link
This option allows you to add a link directly to the project. When you select the Add Link option from the ribbon, you can select which project to add the link to, add a title and description, as well as the link URL.
You can also:
- Choose whether the link should open in a new window
- Select users to notify
- Choose a category for the link to be added to
- Set privacy for the link
Starting a timer
You can start a new timer by clicking the Start Timer button to the right of the Teamwork tab in the ribbon menu. This option allows you to start a manual timer as you work in Outlook and then log that time on a project of your choosing.
When a timer is running, you will have the option to stop and pause the timer, as well as log the time.
When you select Log Time, you can log your time to a specific project or task. Alternatively, you can discard the time entry completely.
For more information, see: Installing the MS Office integration