You can add triggers to columns in your project board view to automatically change properties when a card is moved to that column. For example, you can set up a column called 'Done' and add a trigger so that any cards moved to that column will automatically be completed. Note - triggers cannot be applied in Portfolio view.
To add a trigger, go to the column settings area:
Use the 'Add Trigger' button and choose what kind of trigger you'd like to create:
- Modify Properties
- Modify Assignees
- Auto Complete
- Modify Dates
- Modify Tags
- Modify Estimated Time
- Auto Archive Completed Cards
Read on for more details about each option:
If you choose to modify the task properties you can now select from:
- Setting the task priority
- Setting the task progress
- Generating a notification for any task followers
Choose whether to replace any current assignees or add/remove assignees, then select them from the list.
Note - you can also choose 'User moving the card' rather than selecting a specific person at this stage.
The auto complete option means that when you move a card to that column, it will automatically be marked complete.
You can update the start date, end date, or both:
For either start or due date, you can choose:
- Don't change - leave the date as it is (use this if you want to update the other date only)
- Remove date - if the task has a due date or start date, this option will set it to 'no date' where possible (some tasks may inherit dates which can't be removed)
- Select a specific date - update the task to use a fixed date that you choose
- Push date - set the number of days to push the date out by from the original date on the task
- Current day - If no date is set on the task then the date used will be today's date when this is selected. If there is a date and this is selected no change will be made
- +1 / +2 / +3 ... +14 - push it out the dates on the task by this number of days
You have a number of options for updating the tags:
- Set specific tags - replace any existing tags completely with one or more new tags
- Add tags - add new tags along with any existing tags
- Remove tags - remove specific tags that are currently applied
Modify Estimated Time
You can either replace any current time estimate with a new total, or you can increase or decrease the current estimated time on the task. Just enter the hours and minutes that you'd like to set or adjust the time to
Auto Archive Completed Cards
This trigger will affect cards being moved to the column as well as existing cards, if they are marked as complete.
Viewing and editing triggers
Once you've added the trigger you'll see it listed in the column settings area where you can edit or delete it:
You can quickly see what triggers are set on a column by hovering over the icon in the bottom right of the column:
Remember, you can add multiple triggers to a column, and they will all be applied when you move a card to that column.